The Nissan Murano is an SUV (E-segment in Europe) manufactured by the Japanese marque Nissan. It was launched in 2002 internationally. There are 3 generations of this vehicle to date.
The Murano was born in 2002 as a crossover designed for those looking for a modern and functional car. This model could be considered as the spark that helped this Japanese brand hit the key with the Qashqai or Rogue years later.
The first-generation Nissan Murano debuted at the 2002 New York International Auto Show and went on sale that summer. It had a front- or all-wheel-drive configuration with a 3.5-liter, 245 hp V6 engine. It was one of the first cars to use a continuously variable transmission (CVT). In 2006, the model was updated by improving safety and adding aesthetic enhancements.
The second-generation Nissan Murano was introduced in 2007, although it arrived to the market a couple of years later. It was redesigned in both appearance and interior, and was initially available in three trim levels: S, SL and LE. The most luxurious version (SE) was discontinued. This model was based on the same D platform as the Altima and Maxima. It used a revamped 3.5-liter V6 engine that generated 265 hp, and was available with front or all-wheel drive. Nissan launched a renewed model with a diesel engine option for the European market in 2010. A year later, the brand began to withdraw the vehicle from some markets due to low sales.
The third-generation Nissan Murano was introduced in 2014 at the New York International Auto Show. This model reached a much smaller market. Shortly thereafter, in 2016, Nissan launched the first hybrid model of the Murano. This vehicle features a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine. It is offered in two trim levels, SL and Platinum. As a curious fact, this version has a system called VSP that warns pedestrians when the car is moving in electric mode to avoid being run over.
Among the alternatives to the Nissan Murano are other SUVs in its segment such as the Ford Explorer, the Dodge Durango, the Toyota 4Runner, the Toyota Highlander or the Honda Pilot, among many other options.
Nissan Murano. Timing Belt or Timing Chain?
Down below you will see a list with all Nissan Murano models that have been produced. They are classified by model identifier, year and type of bodywork. Above each list, we show you a series of pictures so that you can have a visual reference for each model. In some cases, both the original and its updated design are displayed to help you identify them with ease.
In this guide you will find all Nissan Murano.
■ Timing Belt / Cam Belt (Correa / Faja de Distribución)
■ Timing Chain (Cadena de Distribución / Cadena de Tiempo)
■ Gear Driven (Distribución por Engranajes)
■ 100% Electric, No Timing (Sin Distribución)
■ Unknown / Not Updated (Información desconocida)
If a car model is specified in blue, it means its motor engine has a timing chain; that is, it has no timing belt. The rest of the vehicles marked in grey have a timing belt/cam belt.
Índice de Contenidos
Nissan Murano I – First Generation (Z50) (2002)
There are no diesel-engined versions of the Nissan Murano Gen 1.
- QR25DE 2.5 163 CV (2004 – 2007)
- VQ35DE 3.5 234 CV (2003 – 2007)
- VQ35DE 3.5 245 CV (2003 – 2007)
- VQ35DE 3.5 249 CV (2003 – 2007)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 231 CV (2006 – 2008)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 234 CV (2003 – 2008)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 239 CV (2002 – 2008)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 245 CV (2004 – 2008)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 249 CV (2003 – 2007)
Nissan Murano II – Second Generation (Z51) (2007)
- YD25DDTi 2.5 dCi 4×4 190 CV (2010 – 2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 234 CV (2007 – 2014)
- VQ35 3.5 260 CV (2011 – 2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 265 CV (2007 – 2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 249 CV (2010 – 2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 256 CV (2008 – 2014)
- VQ35 3.5 4×4 260 CV (2009 – 2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 265 CV (2007 – 2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 4×4 269 CV (2008 – 2010)
Nissan Murano III – Third Generation (Z52, P42M) (2015)
There are no diesel-engined versions of the Nissan Murano Gen 3.
- VQ35DE 3.5 CVTC 252 CV (2019)
- VQ35DE 3.5 CVTC ALL MODE 4×4-i 252 CV (2015)
- VQ35DE 3.5 V6 249 CV (2016)
- VQ35DE 3.5 V6 ALL MODE 4×4-i 256 CV (2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 V6 ALL MODE 4×4-i 264 CV (2014)
- VQ35DE 3.5 V6 ALL MODE 4×4-i (Z52R) 249 CV (2016)
- QR25DER 2.5 HEV 234 CV (2016)
- QR25DER 2.5 HEV ALL MODE 4×4-i 234 CV (2016)