The Toyota Prius is a compact, hybrid automobile (C-segment in Europe) manufactured by the Japanese car company Toyota. It has been continously produced since 1997, although it first had a sedan bodywork. Nowadays, only the fastback and the 5-door hatchback versions are available. It is the hybrid car par excellence, thanks to Toyota’s early anticipation of the opportunity offered by hybridization in compact and utility cars.
There are four generations of this vehicle, apart from many Prius variations that Toyota has launched in multiple markets. These variations, such as the Toyota Prius C, had little to do with the central Prius platform.
Toyota Prius. Timing Belt or Timing Chain?
Down below you will see a list with all Toyota Prius models which have been produced so far. They are classified by model identifier, year and type of bodywork. Above each list, we show you a series of pictures so that you can have a visual reference for each model. In some cases, both the original and its updated design are displayed to help you identify them with ease.
In this guide you will find all Toyota Prius.
■ Timing Belt / Cam Belt (Correa / Faja de Distribución)
■ Timing Chain (Cadena de Distribución / Cadena de Tiempo)
■ Gear Driven (Distribución por Engranajes)
■ 100% Electric, No Timing (Sin Distribución)
■ Unknown / Not Updated (Información desconocida)
If a car model is specified in blue, it means its motor engine has a timing chain; that is, it has no timing belt. The rest of the vehicles marked in grey have a timing belt/cam belt.
Índice de Contenidos
Toyota Prius I – First Generation (XW10) (1997)
Liftback / Sedan (NHW10, NHW11)
There are no diesel engines in Toyota Prius Gen 1.
- 1NZ-FXE 1.5 58 CV (1997 – 2000)
- 1NZ-FXE 1.5 Hybrid (NHW1_) 72 CV (2000 – 2004)
- 1NZ-FXE 1.5 Hybrid (NHW1_) 116 CV (2000 – 2003)
Toyota Prius II – Second Generation (XW20) (2003)
Fastback / Liftback ()
There are no diesel engines in the Prius Gen 2.
- 1NZ-FXE 1.5 (NHW2_) 78 CV (2003 – 2009)
- 1NZ-FXE 1.5 Hybrid (NHW2_) 146 CV (2003 – 2009)
Toyota Prius III – Third Generation (XW30) (2009)
Fastback / Liftback (ZVW30, ZVW35)
There are no diesel engines in the Prius Gen 3.
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid (ZVW3) 136 CV (2009)
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid (ZVW3_) 178 CV (2009)
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid (ZVW3) 99 CV (2009)
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Plug-in Hybrid (ZVW35) 99 CV (2012)
Prius Plus (Family Car) (MSP15)
There are no diesel engines in the Prius Plus Gen 3.
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid (ZVW4_) 99 CV (2011)
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid (ZVW4_) 136 CV (2011)
Toyota Prius IV – Fourth Generation (XW50) (2015)
Fastback / Liftback (W5)
There are no diesel engines in the Prius Gen 4.
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid 122 CV (2015)
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid (ZVW50, ZVW51) 98 CV (2015)
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Hybrid E-FOUR 4WD (ZVW55_) 98 CV (2015)
Fastback / Liftback Plug-In Hybrid (PHV)(W52)
Este coche ha adaptado su nombre en función del mercado en el que se comercializa. Se conoce también como Toyota Prius Prime en Estados Unidos. Se diferencia del modelo base en que es un “Plug-in hybrid”.
This car has adapted its name to the specific market it’s sold in. It is also known as the Toyota Prius Prime in the United States. It deviates from the base model with its plug-in hybrid technology.
There are no diesel engines in the Prius Gen 4 PHEV.
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 PLUG-IN Hybrid (ZVW52_) 98 CV (2016)
- 2ZR-FXE 1.8 Plug-in Hybrid (ZVW52) 97 CV (2017)